On 9/11, a friend and I returned from the USA with a shiny 8gb iPhone each. The same day, the software-only unlock was released. Here's the procedure that I followed (from factory iPhone to updated, activated and jailbroken). This guide assumes the user runs OS X on the desktop.
= Updating =
- Download [http://code.google.com/p/independence/ iNdependance], an easy-to-use interface for jailbreak, activation, and SSH installation.
- Read the README.txt for instructions!
- Upgrade to the latest firmware (1.0.2) using iTunes
- This upgrade will deactivate the phone, so activate again!
= Jailbreaking =
Jailbreak gives write access to the iPhone.
- Jailbreak using iNdependance
- Install SSH
= Unlocking =
Follow the guide at http://iphone.unlock.no
Here's to the team of dedicated hackers at irc.osx86.hu who have finally come up with a working, '''FREE''' software unlock! Take that, Rogers Wireless!
NB. When I first installed SummerBoard (the hack to allow SpringBoard, the iPhone's default launcher, to scroll), my iPhone became deactivated after a restart. I have no idea why, and I suspect YMMV. The solution to this is to just reactivate using iNdependance.